Healing of Tooth Extraction Sites – Best Practices That You Must Follow
No one wants to lose a tooth as it directly affects our aesthetics, smile, and our eating ability. However, sometimes tooth decay or periodontal health gets to a point that tooth extraction or loss becomes inevitable.
For Escondido residents, Hekmat Dental Care can provide all the necessary dental treatments that you can require. Dr. Hekmat has great hands-on experience and has been following high-quality dental practice for many years in San Diego, California. You can get a personal touch on all the dental services they provide at their 4S Ranch location.
Recovery after tooth extraction
Rancho Penasquitos in San Diego offers many reliable dental practices in this suburban community where you could reach out for your tooth pain. Any reputed dentist will try to save your natural tooth but if extraction is the only option left, you must know the oral hygiene practices that are necessary for good healing of the extraction socket.
Tooth extraction can become very stressful for some people. Latest Rancho Bernardo dentistry techniques are available at many reputable clinics now to make dental services stress-free and more comfortable for you. The use of sleep dentistry is becoming common nowadays that can make tooth extraction not just pain-free, but also anxiety-free for patients.
Generally, your dentist will give you a few instructions to follow after tooth extraction. Following those instructions are important because the clot needs to stick in the socket for proper healing. Displacement of the clot can lead to a dry socket which is not just very painful, but also increases the chances of infection.
You must adhere to the following practices after getting a tooth extraction done at your dentist’s clinic:
- Short term healing:
- Eat cold food for the first 24 hours after an extraction.
- You must not use straws to drink your beverages as the pressure can dislodge the clot from the socket.
- You must only eat soft food at room temperature. Hot food can prevent the development of clots and also increase the risk of bleeding.
- Do not spit out your saliva.
- Take your medications as directed.
- Complete the antibiotics course to reduce the risk of infection.
- After the 24 hours is over, do salt water rinses 3-4 times a day for about the next 48-72 hours.
- Avoid brushing at the site of extraction. Use prescribed mouth wash twice daily to get rid of any food that gets stuck in the extraction socket.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes.
- Eat highly nutritious food to fasten the healing process.
- Long term healing:
Normal tooth extraction sites heal within a week or two. However, impacted wisdom tooth extraction can take months and are at risk of infection even after the initial healing period is over.
If you have stitches at the site of wisdom tooth removal, avoid:
- Smoking cigarettes.
- Drinking beverages with a straw.
- Spitting frequently.
- Participating in strenuous exercises.
Finding a reputed Rancho Bernardo dental practice is quite easy nowadays, you just need to do a thorough Google search and read reviews of their past patients.